Dungeness Crab and Sweet Potato Bisque Recipe
*Disclosure: This is a sponsored post on behalf of DailyFreshFish.com. All thoughts and opinions, as always, are my own.
The holidays are in full swing in our house! I have been trying to do one holiday related activity each day, even if it’s just listening to “Sounds of the Season” on the radio. A few weeks ago I was introduced to Dungeness Crab, which I learned is a very popular item on many holiday menus – especially on the West Coast. I had never tried Dungeness Crab before and was happy to receive two cooked, cracked, and cleaned Dungeness Crabs from DailyFreshFish.com to use for a holiday recipe.
I looked online at many different items you can make with Dungeness Crab. The idea that was most appealing to me was the Dungeness Crab Bisque. I love soup especially during this time of year when the weather is cooler. I really wanted to make Dungeness Crab Bisque but all the recipes I found used heavy cream. I decided to make this recipe dairy-free and paleo friendly by using coconut milk instead of heavy cream and chicken bone broth instead of chicken stock.
So, how did it turn out? I thought it was delicious! Then again, I don’t really have anything to compare it to because I’ve never had Dungeness crab bisque before. I think the dairy-free Dungeness Crab and Sweet Potato Bisque is not as thick as a regular Dungeness Crab bisque, but that is okay with me because it was delicious. Here it how I made the recipe. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Scroll down below to see how you can win your own Dungeness Crab for the holidays!
Here’s what you will need (Ingredients):
- 2 Fresh Cooked Dungeness Crabs (I got mine cracked and cleaned from DailyFreshFish.com)
- 1 Pound Chopped Carrots
- 4 Sweet Potatoes, Cut into Chunks
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Coconut Oil
- 1 Large Onion, Chopped
- 2 Cans Coconut Milk (Full-Fat)
- 8 Cups Chicken Bone Broth
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Chives for garnish (optional)
*Note: This makes a large batch of soup for 10-12 people. I made so much because I had the crab meat. I took half and froze it. If you don’t want to do this then I recommend cutting the recipe in half because it’s a lot of food!
- First you need to get your Dungeness crab meat. I received mine cracked and cleaned from DailyFreshFish.com and took the time to get all of the meat out before I put it in the soup. Here’s a before and after pic:
- Heat coconut oil in large pot over medium heat (I used a big soup pot)
- Add onion, garlics, sweet potatoes and carrots and cook until golden brown – about 10 minutes
- Add the coconut milk and chicken bone broth. Bring to a boil and then cover and let simmer for 20-30 minutes. You want to make sure you let it simmer long enough that the sweet potatoes and carrots are soft
- Now it’s time to blend the soup. Pour into a blender or use a hand blender straight in the pot (that’s what I did). Blend until smooth
- Add the Dungeness Crab and cook until the crab is heated
- Add chives for garnish and serve
Jenn @ Run With Sole says
Wow, that looks amazing! And really easy too! I hope I win 🙂
Thanks for entering, Jenn! Good luck!
GiGi Eats Celebrities says
Definitely pinning this so the HUBS and I can make it!
Let me know how you like it!
(((AJ Feuerman))) (@ajfeuerman) says
I’ve had Dungeness Crab and I’ve had crab bisque but I don’t know if I’ve ever had Dungeness Crab bisque? This looks yummy, though! I wonder if there’s a way to do it in a crock pot?
I’m sure you could put all the ingredients except the crab in a crock pot and then use the hand blender when it’s done and add the crab meat.
Alexandra Williams (@Alexandrafunfit) says
I’ve never MADE this bisque before, but I have ordered it at restaurants. I love bisque, and I love crab, which is why I got excited when I saw this post in my email inbox. I can easily make this recipe. Thanks.
I am so happy you saw this post in your inbox, too. Woo hoo! Happy Holidays!
Jordan Dunne says
I love all seafood, but I haven’t had the opportunity to try dungeness crab yet. Fingers crossed I win! Thanks for the giveaway!
You’re welcome. I hope you get to try Dungeness Crab. It is yummy!
I’ve never tried dungeness crab but I make a great bisque. Would enjoy trying them.
I have never tried it, but I would love to
I have not had that but it sounds amazing. I LOVE crab!
Becca Z says
Yes, we have had dungeness crab before, the do itself steamed version, so worth all the effort. Have never tried a crab bisque before.
Kelly M. says
I have never tried either, but I would love to have the opportunity!
I had Dungeness crab several decades ago, but I’ve never made bisque with it.
I love the bisque. Not sure I had dungeness, however.