Whole 30 Challenge: Day 1 & Day 2 Recap
Well, Day 1 and Day 2 of the Whole 30 Challenge are complete. I have been sick in bed with the cold / flu virus that’s going around right now for the past 4 days so it hasn’t been too difficult. Making food has seemed like a chore just because I haven’t felt up to it but I’ve been making in bulk as much as I can.
Here’s a rundown of what I’ve eaten so far:
- Breakfast: I made my own Egg “McMuffins” with egg whites, spinach, jalapeno, garlic, and topped with 1/2 of an Avocado. Super yummy. I found I needed 3-4 of these egg muffins to keep me satisfied because I only made them with Egg Whites. I did this due to my high cholesterol. Although people keep telling me to use whole eggs even though I have high cholesterol. What do you think?
- Lunch: Turkey Stuffed Peppers. I took the same spinach, jalapeno, and garlic mixture and mixed it with ground turkey and made turkey stuffed peppers. They were SO good!
- Dinner: I reheated a turkey stuffed pepper leftover from lunch. So good!
Overall the first day was pretty breezy. I was more focused and concerned about being sick. Because I haven’t been feeling well, my general interest in food has been low so that’s made it easier, too. The only hard part was at night when my husband asked me if I wanted a glass of wine. Um, he’s supposed to be doing Whole 30 with me. He thought wine was allowed! And brown rice! I want to be on his Whole30. Ha! Anyway, he decided wine is going to be allowed on his Whole 30. Funny guy. I’m fine with it because he likes all of the meals I’m cooking.
I also spent a fair amount of time on the Whole 30 Website. I don’t feel like I have enough information on how much protein, fat, and carbs to aim for in each meal. If anyone has this info and wants to send it over to me, I’d appreciate it!
I woke up this morning feeling much better. Thank goodness. I was so weak these past few days that I took a bath instead of a shower. It was pretty miserable. I finally got the energy to take a shower and that made me happy. I was also happy to wake up and find many new people coming to my blog and reading about my journey. Thank you to everyone who has connected with me over the past day. You are all truly awesome.
I had a weird food dream the previous night. I dreamed that I was at a party and someone offered me cake. I said okay, I’ll have a slice. This is weird because I’m gluten-free. But then I said “Wait, I have to go get my pill before I eat the cake.” In my dream I took a pill that made the cake gluten-free. Very weird. Anyway, onto food!
- Breakfast: I had leftover egg muffins with 1/2 avocado and blueberries. I also drank a fresh cold-pressed vegetable juice from my local juicery, Kreation Juicery. I have done their juice cleanse several times and I’m a big fan of theirs. It was perfectly satisfying. I also made my food into a little picture (above) and posted it on Instagram. I thought it was cute.
- Lunch: Chicken Soup with Coconut Water. I made this soup in the crockpot and it was originally a gluten-free recipe but had corn and beans. I took out the corn and beans to make it Whole30 approved and it was still yummy
- Dinner: I made extra meat sauce from the Turkey with stuffed peppers last night and put it on top of cauliflower rice. It was my first time making cauliflower rice and I thought it tasted too bitter. If anyone has any tips, let me know!
Overall today was fine. I did have a couple moments where I realized my psychological dependency on food. In the middle of the afternoon I thought I wanted a snack. But then I asked myself if I was really hungry. I wasn’t. Then I thought I’d walk across the street to get a snack (this was a 2nd instance later in the day) only again to tell myself that it was just my mind talking. The mind is a powerful thing.
I ran out of a lot of food today and haven’t been good about planning for Day 3. I am having egg whites and fruit for breakfast and then chicken soup again for lunch. Will need to think more about dinner. If anyone has a suggestion, send it my way.
Do you have a recipe that’s Whole30 approved? Post in the comments and let me know. I’d love to try it.
Apples and Arteries says
These look like healthy and yummy eats!
Is the last picture the turkey in meat sauce? Looks very soupy! I LOVE cauli rice and have never experienced it being bitter (and I make it just about every single week and eat at least 1 – 2 heads of cauliflower a week). Did you cut it up, then ‘rice’ it in the food processor while raw – THEN microwave it to get it all soft?
By the way the muffins are delicious looking. Is there a recipe you used? How many egg whites did it take to make a dozen?
I couldn’t find an egg white recipe online so I improvised this sucker. There are a lot of egg white recipes online though. I am going to post what I did shortly.
Angela @ The Chicken Scoop says
Eat the whole egg girlie! First of all, there has been research to show that it is *not* dietary cholesterol that increases your cholesterol. For an anecdote: I can tell you I had borderline cholesterol and then I started eating 2 eggs every single say and my levels went down. I also started eating more natural during this time. And finally, eat the whole egg! LoL. I just finished reading “It Starts With Food” (basically the book on Whole30) and they go into the hows and whys you should eat the yolks exactly so maybe you should see if you can get a copy (or read that part while you are Barnes and Noble next time!). The fat will keep you satiated and all the nutrients are in the yolk!
Ok, I think you get my point. Eat those yolks!!
Congrats on Day 1 and 2!!
Thanks, Angela. Do you have any links to research that I can check out? I think cutting the cheese (literally) will probably drop my cholesterol levels but I will try the whole egg thing and see how it goes. I am just so confused on the whole egg vs egg white debate. I got “It Starts with Food” in the mail and plan on diving into the egg yolk chapter tonight. Appreciate the tips!
Caroline Calcote says
I also have high cholesterol, but I’ve been eating the whole egg (a couple a day, maybe three if I put one on a salad at lunch), based on what I read in It Starts with Food and on the Whole9 website. Also, I’ve read lots of other things that say that eggs are neutral with regards to raising blood cholesterol levels. But your egg cups look awesome 🙂
Sorry you were sick!
hey! i dont know if you’ve read the part in It Starts with Food about eggs but they do touch on the cholesterol issue! The eggs aren’t responsible but rather inflammation. That’s why cholesterol medications lower inflammation, like the Whole30 will(:
Yes, I did see that! I need to modify my post accordingly based on that new information about Whole30 and eggs. Thank you, Grace!