My husband and I have been cutting out bread from our meals so I’ve had to be creative in making bunless pulled pork, burgers and sloppy joes.
I like to get the sweet potatoes started before I begin the Sloppy Joes, so preheat your oven to 425˚. Further instructions for adding those to your meal are below. For an idea of just why you should add them to your diet, check out this great article on the benefits of sweet potatoes from WebMD.
Paleo Sloppy Joes Recipe
Tip: Prepare the sweet potatoes before cooking the Sloppy Joes.
- Preheat oven to 425˚.
- Wash and scrub potatoes, removing any dirt from the skin.
- Place a long piece of foil, the length of your oven rack, on the bottom rack of your oven.
- Pierce the sweet potatoes with a fork and place directly on the middle rack. There’s no need to wrap in foil.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Turn the oven off (yes, I really mean that!), but leave the potatoes in the oven for another 30 minutes. This allows them to finish cooking and makes the potatoes really tender from all of the residual heat.
- The sweet potatoes serve as the bottom bun to your paleo sloppy joes.
Ingredients for the Best Paleo Sloppy Joes
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 lb. ground beef (grass-fed if possible)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 c. tomato sauce
- 2 T. tomato paste
- Once you turn the oven off on your sweet potatoes, take the next 30 minutes to make the Paleo Sloppy Joes! Pour the olive oil in skillet, rotating pan by tilting the handle and swirling to ensure the olive oil coats every inch. Turn your stovetop burner on to medium-high heat to get the oil and skillet warmed up. I like to make these Paleo Sloppy Joes in a large, ceramic skillet, as it browns the meat evenly and is a green, healthy alternative to other non-stick cookware
- Place ground beef in heated skillet and begin to brown. Use a spatula to divide the meat into crumbles.
- Chop up the onion and red pepper. Add to the semi-browned ground beef and cook until the onion is tender (onions are done when they appear soft and somewhat translucent) and the meat is completely cooked.
- Lastly, add in the tomato paste and sauce. Stir with a wooden spoon until thoroughly combined. Simmer on low until mixture thickens (about five minutes).
- Scoop out the paleo sloppy joes onto sweet potatoes and serve immediately.
Shop Amazon - The Electronics Holiday Gift Guide