Dungeness Crab and Sweet Potato Bisque Recipe + Giveaway
*Disclosure: This is a sponsored post on behalf of DailyFreshFish.com. All thoughts and opinions, as always, are my own.
The holidays are in full swing in our house! I have been trying to do one holiday related activity each day, even if it’s just listening to “Sounds of the Season” on the radio. A few weeks ago I was introduced to Dungeness Crab, which I learned is a very popular item on many holiday menus – especially on the West Coast. I had never tried Dungeness Crab before and was happy to receive two cooked, cracked, and cleaned Dungeness Crabs from DailyFreshFish.com to use for a holiday recipe.
I looked online at many different items you can make with Dungeness Crab. The idea that was most appealing to me was the Dungeness Crab Bisque. I love soup especially during this time of year when the weather is cooler. I really wanted to make Dungeness Crab Bisque but all the recipes I found used heavy cream. I decided to make this recipe dairy-free and paleo friendly by using coconut milk instead of heavy cream and chicken bone broth instead of chicken stock.
So, how did it turn out? I thought it was delicious! Then again, I don’t really have anything to compare it to because I’ve never had Dungeness crab bisque before. I think the dairy-free Dungeness Crab and Sweet Potato Bisque is not as thick as a regular Dungeness Crab bisque, but that is okay with me because it was delicious. Here it how I made the recipe. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Scroll down below to see how you can win your own Dungeness Crab for the holidays!
Here’s what you will need (Ingredients):
- 2 Fresh Cooked Dungeness Crabs (I got mine cracked and cleaned from DailyFreshFish.com)
- 1 Pound Chopped Carrots
- 4 Sweet Potatoes, Cut into Chunks
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Coconut Oil
- 1 Large Onion, Chopped
- 2 Cans Coconut Milk (Full-Fat)
- 8 Cups Chicken Bone Broth
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Chives for garnish (optional)
*Note: This makes a large batch of soup for 10-12 people. I made so much because I had the crab meat. I took half and froze it. If you don’t want to do this then I recommend cutting the recipe in half because it’s a lot of food!
- First you need to get your Dungeness crab meat. I received mine cracked and cleaned from DailyFreshFish.com and took the time to get all of the meat out before I put it in the soup. Here’s a before and after pic:
- Heat coconut oil in large pot over medium heat (I used a big soup pot)
- Add onion, garlics, sweet potatoes and carrots and cook until golden brown – about 10 minutes
- Add the coconut milk and chicken bone broth. Bring to a boil and then cover and let simmer for 20-30 minutes. You want to make sure you let it simmer long enough that the sweet potatoes and carrots are soft
- Now it’s time to blend the soup. Pour into a blender or use a hand blender straight in the pot (that’s what I did). Blend until smooth
- Add the Dungeness Crab and cook until the crab is heated
- Add chives for garnish and serve
Dungeness Crab Giveaway
The folks at DailyFreshFish.com and I want to share the holiday love and give away TWO fresh cooked, cracked, and cleaned Dungeness Crabs to one lucky winner. The Dungeness Crab will need to be ordered by December 22nd to receive in time for Christmas Eve and December 30th for arrival by New Year’s Eve. Giveaway ends on Monday December 19th. Good luck!