Recipe: Quick and Healthy Smash Cake
Babies grow up so fast and at the end of the day, the memories you make with them in those formative years make a huge impact. This is why you have to make them count, starting with the things they eat, from veggies to treats and even a healthy smash cake. This is a cake that children can eat, smash and enjoy on their first birthday.
Normally, outsourcing your nutritional needs to a meal prep delivery company is a great option especially if you work all the time. However, in the case of a smash cake, each child gets them just once in a lifetime so it’s a good idea to make the experience more personal by baking one yourself.
Here’s a simple 40-minute healthy smash cake recipe that will have your children smiling all through their big day:
To make a single layer 6-inch cake or 6 cupcakes, you’ll need the following ingredients:
For the Cake:
- 2 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons butter
- Some whole wheat flour to dust the pans
- ½ cup pure maple syrup (This can be substituted with raw honey, date sugar or 3 ounces of ripe fruits like bananas).
- 1 ½ cups oat flour or blended gluten-free oats.
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ cup milk (whole preferred)
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
For the topping:
1 cup whole milk yogurt
1 cup frozen berry of choice
- Strain the whole milk yogurt in a cheesecloth-lined sieve or strainer with a clean bowl placed underneath. Let it sit for 30 minutes and add 3 tablespoons of maple syrup along with 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract and refrigerate it to be used as frosting for your healthy smash cake.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and butter the cake pan before dusting it lightly with whole wheat flour.
- Mix your oat flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl and whisk until it smoothes out.
- Blend your whole milk, and maple syrup in a blender and also pour the mixture into a large bowl. Slowly whisk your eggs into the mixture and add ¼ vanilla extract.
- Pour the egg mix into the dry ingredient mix and turn with a spatula until you get a consistent batter.
- Pour the batter halfway into the dusted cake pan and bake for 20 minutes (15 minutes for cupcakes).
- Let the cake cool down for 10 minutes and leave it in the refrigerator for another 5 minutes to allow it cool down completely without being ice cold.
- Take your frosting out of the refrigerator and apply it all over the cake, then place your whole or sliced berries on top of the frosting.
Now your healthy smash cake is ready for your child to smash away at it!Shop Amazon - Top Holiday Deals in Sports