Zombie bait here, aka Bekka. I’ve been MIA for 6 months now and I don’t have much to report. It’s embarrassing how at the start of this year I was all amped up to share my fitness journey with you all and as the day-to-day kicked in I let my ‘journey’ become an after-thought. As I’ve been mulling over how to sheepishly come back and say hello. I checked back on my very first post and the goals I had shared and guess what? I’ve achieved them!
They are really basic goals and totally vague, but in 2015 I accomplished the following three goals.
- Run a full mile without stopping: The Couch to 5K program helped me to increase my stamina at my own pace and I can now jog longer than my fiancé. I can technically jog two miles without stopping. Oh yeah, I got engaged!
- Get in shape and climb a flight of stairs without being winded: I can’t climb a mountain without being winded, but I can certainly scale a flight of stairs without needing to take a breather. In October we climbed Mt. Ellinor, a six mile round trip hike with a 5944ft elevation. We didn’t make it to the actual peak as the sun wasn’t on our side, but we hiked five of those six miles and it felt like a liberating and amazing accomplishment.
- Strengthen the body I have now, so I’ll be healthier in the future: I’m totally stronger on December 30th 2015 than I was on December 30th 2014. Not only stronger physically, but mentally as well. I ate healthier this year, I exercised on a consistent basis, and I learned more about the fitness and wellness world. This year, I really worked on my mind, body, spiritual connection; I adopted a meditation practice to help my social anxiety and I start my morning with spiritual readings instead of grabbing my phone.
I still didn’t contribute to Fit & Awesome as frequently as I was hoping to but if Lindsay will have me, I think I can make a once a month update doable. Also, I finally watched the Walking Dead. I binge watched it this last week and this Zombie bait would have made it to the second season; but probably not the third. In 2016, I have to step it up! Here are my goals…
- Sign up for a Krav Maga class which is defined as a “self-defense system developed for the Israel Defence Forces (IDF) that consists of a wide combination of techniques sourced from aikido, judo, boxing and wrestling, along with realistic fight training.” by Wikipedia.
- Tone up my arms! As I said I’m engaged and I’d love to have arms that don’t look like limp spaghetti in my wedding dress. Arms that mean business. First lady arms.
- Join a 5K race: My fiancé’s niece is a marathon junkie, two-time Nike SF runner and she basically does a 5k before Sunday brunch on the regular. I have 12 months to sign up and actually do a 5K, let’s make it happen Bekka!
Thank you to anyone who has read my journey or wondered where I’ve been. I’m just a regular girl who isn’t born with the athlete gene, trying to get prepared for the zombie apocalypse. With glasses of ph balanced electrolyte water, cheers to another day and another year to be better than the day before.