Before I became pregnant with my first baby I was living a fairly active lifestyle. My husband and I enjoyed running, evening walks and hiking on the weekends. When I found out I was pregnant, it was important for me to continue a healthy diet and lifestyle. I’m sharing a few of my favorite activities during pregnancy to keep that heart pumping!
- Walking – My day job was unfortunately very sedentary. I was always trying to find an excuse to get up and get the blood flowing through my body. I would come home from work every day and walk our dog for an hour. We both love being outdoors and it felt great to get some fresh air. Walking is an easy way to stay active during your entire pregnancy. Great cardio and low impact!
- Yoga – It took me a while to really enjoy Bikram Yoga but I knew I didn’t want to give up this amazing exercise when I was pregnant. I started doing some research and found a few studios that offered prenatal yoga – minus the 106 degrees. It felt so wonderful to stretch, and it increases your strength and stamina by tenfolds! If you’re unable to find a class near you, I highly recommend finding a few poses you can do in the evening at home. You won’t regret it!
- TRX – My trainer and I include TRX with our weekly workouts but doing this activity by itself is still great! This gives you the opportunity to use your own body weight. Best part is – you can still perfect those squats during pregnancy! Feel the burn!
- Weight Training – This activity is one that I enjoy the most. I knew my belly was going to grow tremendously so I wanted to maintain the muscle I had. My trainer and I decided to remove the High-Intensity workouts and incorporate more weights so that I was maintaining and growing muscle in other areas. A great way to include weight training weekly is finding a prenatal circuit that you can easily do at home!
- Swimming – I have been a longtime competitive swimmer. Swimming is a great activity that you can do in thirty minutes and feel awesome. If you live in an area with higher temperatures, this is a great workout to stay cool during your pregnancy. This workout allows you to have great range of motion with your body. Grab your cap and goggles and take a dip!
Did you maintain your weekly workout routines? I would love to know any other fun prenatal exercises!